Yerica Lai (The Jakarta Post) PREMIUM Jakarta ● Thu, November 24 2022 President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has given a nod to lawmakers' controversial dismissal of Constitutional Court justice Aswanto and the appointment of Guntur Hamzah as his replacement, setting what civil groups say is an alarming precedent that undermines the independence of the judiciary. Guntur, previously the court's secretary-general, was appointed by the House of Representatives in late September to replace Aswanto, a two-time House appointee who was supposed to end his tenure in 2029. Aswanto’s removal drew accusations of legislative overreach, as prevailing laws do not grant lawmakers the authority to remove a justice. They stipulate that a justice can only be dismissed by a presidential decree in response to a request from the court's chief justice. to Read Full Story SUBSCRIBE NOW Starting from IDR 55,500/month Unlimited access to our web and app content e-Post daily digital newspaper No advertisements, no interruptions Privileged access to our events and programs Subscription to our newsletters We accept Register to read 3 premium articles for free Already subscribed? login Or let Google manage your subscription
- Donald Trump boasts he is at 'zero risk' of removal by the 25th Amendment then claims it will be used against Joe Biden as he signs his border wall in bid to highlight his 'legacy' - after accepting NO blame for MAGA riot
- 54% of Americans want Trump removed from office immediately in wake of Capitol riot - and 71% of people 'don't trust Ted Cruz with democracy'
- Impeachment Over Protected Speech Would Harm the Constitution | Opinion
- Chief Justice Roberts Saves Obamacare a Second Time
- US Embassy in London attempts to play down fears that Biden's removal of Churchill bust signals a souring of Special Relationship with video about Anglo-American friendship
- For equal justice, throw the book at Capitol rioters and inciters
- Emotional Mike Pence's voice cracks as he gives farewell speech in Indiana after skipping Trump's leaving ceremony and attending Joe Biden's inauguration following bitter split
- Trump presidency timeline: All the biggest moments through four years of chaos and controversy
- Justice Department Investigating Capitol Riot as Act of Sedition: Live Updates
- UK and EU reach deal on Northern Ireland as Government DROPS controversial law breaking Withdrawal Agreement in key step towards a final Brexit deal - but PM warns he WON'T cave in on sovereignty
Jokowi gives nod to controversial removal of constitutional justice have 383 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at November 24, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.