(CTN News) – Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, has banned public celebrations this week to mark the country's independence from Soviet rule, citing a heightened threat of Russian attacks. The United Nations said nearly 5,600 civilians , including many children, have been killed in the conflict. Near the frontlines in the south of the country, Ukraine reported that Russian forces fired rockets into several towns north and west of Europe's largest nuclear power plant. Demilitarization of the area near the Zaporizhzhia nuclear reactor complex, on the south bank of the Dnipro River, has been called for due to artillery and rocket fire. There are fears that shells could hit one of the six reactors at the plant, which could lead to disastrous consequences for Ukrainians living nearby. Alexander Lifirenko, a resident of Enerhodar, a nearby town now under the control of pro-Moscow forces, said, "Of course, we are worried. In the run-up to Wednesday's 31st independence anniversary, which also marks half a year since the Russian invasion, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky warned Moscow may try "something particularly ugly." Despite being far from the front lines, Kyiv has rarely been hit by Russian missiles since Ukrainian troops repelled a Russian ground… Read full this story
- More deaths reported in Afghanistan as Taliban fighters open fire at Independence Day rally
- Independence Day highlights: Kashmir issue can be resolved by embracing them, not by bullets, abuses, says PM Modi
- Taliban could take Afghan capital in 90 days amid rapid Taliban gains: US intelligence
- 'On our Independence Day, we Afghans feel like prisoners'
- Taliban could take Afghan capital in 90 days – US intelligence
- Why Nashville bomb investigators feared copycat attacks by 5G conspiracists
- Taliban captures eighth provincial Afghan capital in six days
- Taliban fighters capture 8th provincial capital in 6 days
- The costs of Putin's passports offer to separatist-controlled eastern Ukraine
- With Security Tightened Ahead Of I-Day, Delhi Police Put Out Posters Of 6 Wanted Terrorists
Ukraine Capital Bans Independence Day Rallies For Fear Of Russian Attack have 315 words, post on www.chiangraitimes.com at August 23, 2022. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.