BERLIN (AP) — A World War II bomb exploded at a construction site next to a busy railway line in Munich on Wednesday, injuring four people, one of them seriously, German authorities said. A column of smoke was seen rising from the site near the Donnersbergerbruecke station. The construction site for a new commuter train line is located on the approach to Munich's central station, which is a bit over a kilometer (about a half-mile) to the east. Trains to and from that station, one of Germany's busiest, were suspended but service resumed in mid-afternoon. A few local trains were evacuated. The fire service said there was no damage to the tracks. Unexploded bombs are still found frequently in Germany, even 76 years after the end of the war, and often during work on construction sites. They are usually defused or disposed of in controlled explosions, a process that sometimes entails large-scale evacuations as a precaution. Bavaria's state interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said the 250-kilogram (550-pound) bomb was found during drilling work, German news agency dpa reported. Herrmann said authorities must now investigate why it wasn't discovered earlier. He noted that such construction sites are usually scanned carefully in advance… Read full this story
- T20 cricket match is rocked by bomb at International Cricket Stadium in Kabul after grenade explosion kills at least 19
- 7/11 Mumbai train blasts: 5 get death; 7 sentenced to life
- EXPLAINED: What Is An Improvised Explosive Device, And Why They're Easy To Make And Tough To Counter
- Record-breaking heatwave created busiest day since WWII for London firefighters
- Bomb plot: North Carolina man accused of teaching others how to make IEDs meant for killing law enforcement
- Somalia theatre suicide bombing kills top sports officials
- AI's Mumbai-Newark flight lands in UK after bomb scare
- University of Glasgow reopens after controlled explosion
- Birmingham pub bombings: Men 'talked of bangs' before blasts
- July 11 - On this day: 82 years since the start of the 'Battle of Britain'
Explosion of WWII bomb in Munich injures 4, disrupts trains have 321 words, post on www.denverpost.com at December 1, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.