A month after his resignation from the Rajya Sabha to contest the West Bengal elections on BJP ticket, Swapan Dasgupta was renominated to the House by President Ramnath Kovind to fill the seat that fell vacant due to his resignation for his remainder term till April next. Mr. Dasgupta lost the Tarkeshwar constituency to his TMC rival, Ramendu Sinharay, by margin of over 7,000 votes. He was forced to resign from the Rajya Sabha ahead of the polls after the TMC forced legal action since a nominated member cannot contest on any party ticket while continuing to hold the post in the House. TMC chief whip in the Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Sekhar Ray told The Hindu, "I do not think it has ever happened in the history of the Rajya Sabha that a person who resigned just a month back is renominated by the President of India. The government is setting a bad precedent here by throwing all parliamentary norms out of the window." Mr. Ray termed it a shameful act. "He was sent to West Bengal, protected as a leader of the BJP. After losing the battle now, he is being rehabilitated by the backdoor. The BJP, it seems,… Read full this story
- Battle against Covid-19 takes political turn in Bengal as BJP, TMC trade barbs
- Lok Sabha polls 2019: Why NRIs can't cast their vote online
- PM Modi interacts with floor leaders of political parties; says 'lockdown will not be lifted in one go'
- Coronavirus pandemic: PM Modi likens situation to 'social emergency', says experts seeking lockdown extension
- Jamaat brought collective shame and Islamophobia, Muslims say
- Goods and Services Tax’s 17-year roller coaster ride to climax
- Parliament proceedings | 28 died in Assam detention centres: Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai
Swapan Dasgupta back in Rajya Sabha; shameful, says TMC have 288 words, post on www.thehindu.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.