Owen Farrell has been fast-tracked on to the British and Irish Lions’ bench against Japan as Warren Gatland reveals a squad poll identified the England captain as the talisman of the tourists’ leadership group. For the first time since 1950, the Lions have picked a starting XV devoid of England players with four Scots – Duhan van der Merwe, Rory Sutherland, Zander Fagerson and Hamish Watson – selected for Saturday’s Edinburgh appointment. While none of Eddie Jones’ men have made the team, four have been selected among the replacements including Farrell, who only six days ago helped Saracens seal their return to the Gallagher Premiership. No England players in XV as Jones leads Lions vs Japan Boks’ Tests against Georgia to be shown on Sky Sports Be part of our virtual audience & roar with the Lions! Farrell will provide fly-half cover for Dan Biggar and will depart for South Africa on Sunday knowing he has the full backing of his peers. “I’ve spoken to Owen and the chat was about it not being the greatest Six Nations, but we picked him on the leadership and experience that he can bring to the group,” Gatland said. “He’s a fantastic competitor… Read full this story
- Why Warren Gatland has been at the Dragons for 2 weeks
- The Warren Gatland interview: Why I'm s***ting myself
- Owen Farrell is loyal to England captain Dylan Hartley: 'We’ll welcome him back'
- Warren Gatland: Wales coach says Lions breaks increased Wales reign
- Ulster on Cheetah alert in South Africa
- Rugby Championship: Altitude no advantage for South Africa against All Blacks, says Springboks great Victor Matfield
- Gatland scared stiff of failing in his final year as Wales coach
- The three different Wales teams Gatland could pick this autumn
- WRU warn it will take a decade to develop a Welsh head coach for Wales
- Gatland hopes common sense prevails in Webb selection scenario
British & Irish Lions: Owen Farrell backed by coach Warren Gatland to have 'great tour' of South Africa have 306 words, post on www.skysports.com at June 22, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.