KATHMANDU, Nepal — Authorities extended a lockdown in Nepal’s capital Kathmandu and surrounding districts by another week on Wednesday as the Himalayan nation recorded its highest daily tolls of COVID-19 infection and death. The Ministry of Health said Tuesday 7,660 people tested positive for the coronavirus while 55 people had died. The lockdown notice also said neighborhood grocery stores would be allowed to open only two hours in the morning and there would be further restrictions imposed on movement of vehicles to curb the spiking number of cases. Nepal halted all domestic flights this week and international flights would be stopped from Thursday. Nepal has recorded 351,005 cases while 3,417 people have died. ___ THE VIRUS OUTBREAK: — India's virus surge is damaging Prime Minister Narendra Modi's carefully tailored image of competence — U.S. birth rate fell 4% last year, the largest single-year decrease in nearly 50 years, with pandemic likely a factor — Parents, educators hopeful for pending Pfizer authorization for 12-15 age group, key to smooth school reopenings — Follow more of AP's pandemic coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-pandemic and https://apnews.com/hub/coronavirus-vaccine ___ HERE'S WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING: CANBERRA, Australia — Australia's prime minister is resisting mounting pressure to lift a… Read full this story
- Why the biggest iPhone and Android games are released in December
- First death reported after Hurricane Michael slammed into the Florida Panhandle
- Trump voters carry Republicans in the Senate, while Democrats are poised to take the House
- Spot on: 'Here's the pitch...'
- Total War: Rome II PC Review
- Why Menaphos is the most important Runescape update in four years
- Battle for Azeroth recaptures something World of Warcraft has long missed
The Latest: Nepal extends lockdown for capital amid surge have 275 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at May 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.