COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Civil rights advocates sued a Maryland county on Wednesday to seek the court-ordered removal of a Confederate monument from a courthouse lawn on the state's Eastern Shore, calling it a racist symbol of oppression. In their federal lawsuit, an NAACP branch leader and a defense lawyer say the "Talbot Boys" statue in Talbot County is the last Confederate monument remaining on public property in Maryland besides cemeteries and battlefields. READ MORE: Historically Black Beach In Annapolis To Become City Park The lawsuit claims that a statue glorifying the Confederacy on the lawn outside the county courthouse in Easton, Maryland, is both unconstitutional and illegal under federal and state laws. Keeping it there "sends a message that the community does not value Black people, that justice is not blind, and that Black people are not equal in the eyes of the county," the suit says. "For Black employees and litigants entering the courthouse, the statue is, in its least damaging capacity, intimidating and demoralizing," it adds. In August 2020, Talbot County Council members voted 3-2 to keep the memorial on the courthouse lawn. Council Member Corey Pack, who sponsored the resolution calling for the statue's removal,… Read full this story
- Virginia officials announce plan to give Confederate statues to Black History Museum
- Black Man Wanted Trial Moved Because Of Confederate Statue. Judge Said No
- Louisiana: Judge Says New Orleans Can Remove Confederate Statues
- Confederate statue handover: a monumental shift in race relations in post-BLM Virginia?
- Again, Crews Find Apparent Time Capsule At Lee Statue Site
- Books, envelope and silver coin found in time capsule beneath former Robert E. Lee statue
- 3 books among items found in Lee statue's time capsule, but no Abraham Lincoln photo
- Enbridge Seeks Federal Jurisdiction In Michigan Oil Pipeline Dispute
- Two Georgia election workers file defamation lawsuit against OAN, Rudy Giuliani
- Hearing set on bid to dismiss suit over Confederate memorial
Lawsuit Seeks Confederate Statue’s Removal From Talbot County Courthouse have 319 words, post on baltimore.cbslocal.com at May 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.