There has been a fourfold increase in cases of a potentially severe respiratory virus across Greater Brisbane, prompting health authorities to urge people to stay home if they are unwell. Key points: RSV is a common illness that mirrors COVID-19 symptoms including runny nose, cough, fever It is highly infectious; in most cases is similar to the common cold but can be severe for young children Health authorities recommend good hygiene and to stay at home and get tested if they have symptoms Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is a common and highly infectious virus that most children will catch before they turn two and it can cause severe illness in children under three. Symptoms include a runny nose, cough, fever, sore throat and headache and it commonly causes bronchiolitis and pneumonia. Most cases in children under 10 Between January and March, 2,251 people tested positive to RSV in Greater Brisbane, up from 591 cases during the same period last year, according to Pathology Queensland data. Of those positive cases, nearly 74 per cent were recorded among children under 10, an increase of 45 per cent from last year. Across Queensland there were more than 1,100 episodes of RSV in January and February compared with 238 episodes a… Read full this story
- CDC is 'worried' about swine flu; dozens die from suspected cases in Mexico
- First deadly swine flu case left doctors mystified as Adela Maria Gutierrez infected 16 at hospital
- The 'swine flu' of yesteryear, West Nile virus still deadly 10 years later
- South Korea President Park Geun-hye postpones U.S. trip as MERS fears, cases rise
- Why Small Towns Have More Intense Surges of Flu
- Risk from confirmed case of measles in greater Moncton is 'probably very low'
- New York City swine flu case tally could be as high as 500,000, CDC says
- Traces of deadly Ebola virus found in the eye of American survivor
- Avoiding swine flu - how to prepare for a resurgent virus
- Bird flu in Hong Kong: First case of deadly virus reported there since deadly 1997 outbreak
Cases of potentially severe respiratory virus surge in Greater Brisbane have 322 words, post on www.abc.net.au at April 23, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.