The world has watched The Queen and Prince Philip’s relationship continue to grow stronger and stronger over the years since they were married at Westminster Abbey in November 1947. But do you know how it all began? Their romance officially began when the Queen was 17 and Philip was 22, but the pair actually met several years earlier. Aged 13, the then Princess Elizabeth joined her father King George VI, the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret during a trip to Dartmouth Britannia Royal Naval College, where Philip was training. And it was by pure chance that they ended up meeting – and it was all down to a nasty outbreak of mumps and chickenpox. According to the Queen’s former governess Marion Crawford, Philip was one of the few cadets who wasn’t taken ill so was invited to meet them. He is said to have suggested they go down to the tennis courts, where he showed off by jumping over the nets. In her book The Little Princesses, Marion claims the Queen was particularly taken by him and said: “How high he can jump!” Later that evening Philip was invited to join the family for dinner on the King’s yacht. Marion… Read full this story
- 13 Windsor Castle guards jailed for boozy party while Queen and Prince Philip were shielding in coronavirus lockdown
- Telling it like it is! What Prince Philip REALLY thinks about black sheep Royals is revealed by the biographer so close to the Firm that Diana confided in her that she 'hated' the Duke and Fergie told about a toxic dinner row with him
- The Queen is 'very keen for things to return to normal' in the autumn and intends to attend Cenotaph in London in November, sources tell Vanity Fair
- The Phil good factor: Duke of Edinburgh looks back to his best beaming alongside the Queen in Princess Beatrice wedding picture
- One's first video call: Behind-the-scenes moment Princess Anne teaches her mother the Queen how to use the technology - in a sneak peek of upcoming ITV documentary to mark her 70th birthday
- Colonel Tom Moore says it will be 'the most special of days' when Queen knights him at Windsor Castle on Friday for raising more than £32m for NHS
- Prince Harry is 'upset' at missing royal trip to Balmoral to see the Queen because of coronavirus restrictions - but Meghan Markle 'doesn't feel like they're missing out' as they decorate their new LA mansion
- You're a real son of a gun! Prince George, 7, watches dad Prince William on grouse shoot at Balmoral
- Prince William is blasted by animal rights activists PETA for taking Prince George, 7, to watch him on on grouse shoot at Balmoral and say exposure to 'casual killing' could cause 'damage to his psyche'
- Prince Harry pranked by phone call hoaxers posing as Greta Thunberg into revealing his agony over Megxit
Prince Philip won Queen's affection with 'unusual skill' and jokes during first meeting have 467 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.