Once the coronavirus pandemic ended college baseball last spring and LSU began planning its 2021 roster, recruiting coordinator Nolan Cain consistently told coach Paul Mainieri the team had a chance to land some of its highest-rated signees. The pandemic thrust the sport into unknowns about everything from roster sizes to the length of the major league baseball draft. Amidst the uncertainty, Cain believed LSU could keep outfielder Dylan Crews, pitcher Blake Money, infielder Jordan Thompson, pitcher Ty Floyd, outfielder Brody Drost and even catcher Drew Romo, all players who would likely sign in a typical cycle. "After a while," Mainieri said, "I’d look at him and say, ‘Come on, Nolan. You’re young, and I know you’re ambitious, but you’ve got to come to grips with this isn’t the way it works.'" Cain was correct. Crews withdrew his name from consideration a week before the draft, and with the format shortened from 40 to five rounds, LSU held onto almost all its signees, only losing Romo and junior college pitcher Beck Way. "We felt pretty good with it," Cain said. "There were a lot of high fives and smiles." LSU vs. Oral Roberts, Friday: Who’s starting, how to watch, what to… Read full this story
- LSU baseball coach Paul Mainieri voices concerns about college baseball's future post-pandemic
- LSU basketball wins another OT thriller vs. Florida as Tigers make history; 'We never give up'
- NCAA throws baseball coaches a curve with added eligibility
- Penn State recruiting: Nittany Lions land commitment from No. 45 overall player in the Class of 2021
- From Prometheus to Spider-Man: our summer blockbuster preview
- FMIA: NFL Life At A Social Distance, and How The 2020 Draft Might Look
- 30 Years of Notre Dame on NBC: Tommy Rees’ first career start, an upset exaggerated
- Top high school football player in all 50 states
- Before Trump, Cambridge Analytica quietly developed psy-ops for militaries
- Mason Men: George Mason's Cinderella Run to the 2006 Final Four Changed College Basketball Forever
How Nolan Cain assembled the freshman class exciting LSU baseball have 328 words, post on www.theadvocate.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.