As the farmers protest completed 100 days on the borders of Delhi, senior Samyukt Kisan Morcha leader Darshan Pal said the movement "should not be taking a hard stance on all the issues". There needs to be "space for discussion" even on the demand to repeal three contentious farm reform laws, he said. However, in an interview with The Hindu on Friday, the veteran Punjab leader added that with expectations having been raised among the people, it would now be difficult for union leaders to back down from their initial positions. For five hours on Saturday, SKM protestors will mark the 100th day of their agitation on the doorsteps of the capital by blockading the Western Peripheral Expressway which surrounds the city and connects the three major protest sites at Singhu, Tikri and Ghazipur. Apart from the repeal of the three laws, they are also demanding a legal guarantee of minimum support prices for their crops. Reflecting on the lessons learnt from the last 100 days which can be applied to the future of the movement, Dr. Pal indicated that there should have been more clarity regarding realistic expectations. "I think we should not be taking a hard stance on… Read full this story
- Farmers end protest after Delhi midnight march
- 'Farmers don't believe Modi anymore'
- 'Till farmers are not free from debt, this struggle will go on'
- PM Modi Tells Congress To Protest Against Pakistan, Not Citizenship Amendment Act
- Anti-CAA protest: Tamang faction of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha calls for bandh in Darjeeling on Dec 29
- Hemant Soren to be elected as JMM legislature party leader
- Erdoğan demands end to Turkey protests
- Protests rock APC secretariat as Govs Amosun, Akeredolu throw weight behind Buhari
- 2020 will be the year of the economy, but...
- Meet generation Greta: young climate activists around the world
Farmers’ protests | Samyukt Kisan Morcha leader hints at nuanced stand on demands have 298 words, post on www.thehindu.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.