WARSAW: As Amazon sets its sights on central and eastern Europe, the e-commerce giant will need to convince long-time Allegro shoppers like Elzbieta Modrakowska to click away from the region’s leading online marketplace. While prioritising its expansion to other, bigger markets, Amazon has given companies such as Allegro the time to lay deep roots and prepare for its arrival – something the Polish firm has done with loyalty programmes, free delivery and other perks. “I don’t think we will switch … Allegro has set the bar very high,” said Modrakowska, whose weekly shop spans everything from organic food to batteries. She is one of Allegro’s 20 million monthly customers in Poland, a nation of 38 million. “It has the parcel lockers option and I don’t know how Amazon will handle this. Waiting for a courier or going to the post office is not an option.” Amazon launched its Polish website on Tuesday, entering a fast-growing e-commerce market with a proven playbook and global reach that have already secured success against entrenched local competitors in other markets, such as Argos in Britain. “Business is not winner take all – industries rise together,” an Amazon spokesman said when asked about local competitors…. Read full this story
- Is the Schengen dream of Europe without borders becoming a thing of the past?
- Time is fast running out for judicial independence in PiS-ruled Poland ǀ View
- Amazon drops its $25 minimum for free shipping ahead of the holidays in bid against Walmart and Target
- UEFA’s Ceferin tackles dangers in Europe, integrity attacks
- Can two leftwing gurus save Europe? Chronicles by Thomas Piketty; And the Weak Suffer What They Must? by Yanis Varoufakis – review
- Fox frozen in block of ice after falling into lake as temperatures hit -30c in central Europe
- Emerging Asian Economies View Russia as 'Ticket to Arctic Riches'
- Bayern Munich and Europe’s serial title winners
- Hacking and cyber espionage: The countries that are going to emerge as major threats in the 2020s
- A year on, more details emerge about heroic Thai cave rescue
Emerging Europe.com bolsters defences as Amazon enters Poland have 332 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.