“The Code Breaker” (Simon & Schuster), the latest book from Walter Isaacson, bestselling biographer of geniuses from Leonardo da Vinci and Benjamin Franklin to Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs, tells the story of biochemist Jennifer Doudna and the creation of the gene-editing technology known as CRISPR. Read the excerpt below, and don’t miss correspondent David Pogue’s interview with Isaacson and Doudna on “CBS Sunday Morning” March 7! Introduction Into the Breach Jennifer Doudna couldn’t sleep. Berkeley, the university where she was a superstar for her role in inventing the gene-editing technology known as CRISPR, had just shut down its campus because of the fast-spreading coronavirus pandemic. Against her better judgment, she had driven her son, Andy, a high school senior, to the train station so he could go to Fresno for a robot-building competition. Now, at 2 a.m., she roused her husband and insisted that they retrieve him before the start of the match, when more than twelve hundred kids would be gathering in an indoor convention center. They pulled on their clothes, got in the car, found an open gas station, and made the three-hour drive. Andy, an only child, was not happy to see them, but they convinced… Read full this story
- ‘Imitation Game’ code breaker Alan Turing’s notebook nets $1M at auction
- Murderbot Struggles to Pass for Human in This Excerpt From Martha Wells'
- Barbara Walters writes a memoir
- Sarah Palin laces into President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama in new book
- Friday's Best Deals: Nintendo Labo, Harry Potter Coding Kit, Italian Vacation, and More
- Read an Exclusive Excerpt From the Star-Studded Sci-Fi Anthology
- Excerpt: 'Spiral of Denial' reveals culture of steroid abuse in football
- Book by News writer looks at how Giants and Eli climbed to top of NFL
- Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer's while he was President, son says in new book
- David Kilpatrick's soon-to-be-released book 'The Facebook Effect' dishes on Mark Zuckerberg's life
Book excerpt: Walter Isaacson's "The Code Breaker" have 313 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.