African countries have accelerated their vaccination drives against COVID-19 over the past week. In a boost for so-called vaccine equity, Cote d’Ivoire became the second country on the continent to receive vaccine supplies from the COVAX facility. COVAX is an initiative launched by the World Health Organization with partners in a bid to ensure the world’s most vulnerable people can get vaccinated. Under the initiative, 504,000 doses of a vaccine from Oxford University and AstraZeneca arrived in the Cote d’Ivoire capital Abidjan on Friday. Two days earlier, Ghana became the first African country to get supplies from COVAX, with 600,000 doses of the Oxford and AstraZeneca vaccine. On Friday, Matshidiso Moeti, the WHO’s regional director for Africa, said the continent has stepped up procurement of vaccines to inoculate groups at higher risk of contracting the coronavirus. “It is good news to learn that more countries in Africa are receiving COVID-19 vaccines from the COVAX initiative,” Moeti said. “Over half a million vaccines just arrived in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire, and will be rolled out among frontline health workers in the coming days. This is another step toward vaccine equity.” In South Africa, the country with most cases and deaths on the… Read full this story
- Vaccine rates climb on ‘hippie’ island amid measles outbreak
- Vaccine rates rise on long-wary 'hippie' island near Seattle
- Google Maps now shows speed limits in more than 40 countries
- Tensions rise as Iran speeds up enrichment, US sends troops
- Baltimore limps along as mayor's scandal keeps on unfolding
- Ebola outbreak in Congo declared an emergency
- Measles case spurs look at NM laws
- Beyonce multitasks with 'The Lion King: The Gift'
- Alltech Agribiz Research Keeps Finding … Growth
- Washington Is Dismissing China’s Belt and Road. That’s a Huge Strategic Mistake.
Africa's vaccine rollout steadily gathers speed have 287 words, post on www.chinadaily.com.cn at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.