JOHANNESBURG (REUTERS) – Russia and China are racing to plug the Covid-19 vaccine gap in Africa, hoping to cement their influence on a continent where many countries have yet to administer a single shot. But, so far, vaccine donations from Beijing and Moscow have been small, the commercial deals they offer are costly, and some African governments are wary about a lack of data. As rich countries ramp up their inoculation drives, Africa, without the resources to pre-order Pfizer, AstraZeneca , Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, is being left behind. With Western nations facing criticism for hoarding supplies, flooding Africa with life-saving shots would be a soft-power coup for Russia and China. Moscow has offered 300 million doses with financing to an African Union (AU) purchasing scheme. Beijing has pledged nearly a quarter of all its vaccine donations to Africa, according to data compiled by Bridge Consulting, a Beijing-based health sector advisory. “This is a vivid manifestation of China-Africa friendship,” China’s foreign ministry told Reuters. “Africa is one of the key markets for Sputnik V,” said the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), the sovereign wealth fund marketing its Sputnik V vaccine abroad. French President Emmanuel Macron says Europe and… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: India will take one-and-a-half to two years to develop COVID-19 vaccine
- Vietnam could become candidate for COVID-19 vaccine production: WHO representative
- Coronavirus Death Risk Could Be Higher for Patients With High Blood Pressure, Chinese COVID-19 Doctor Claims
- Behind the scenes, US scientists prep for COVID-19 vaccine test
- Behind the scenes, scientists prep for COVID-19 vaccine test
- COVID-19 vaccines expected to enter clinical trials by mid April or earlier
- ‘Heat is not a deterrent for transmission’: Your COVID-19 queries answered
- Brazilian official who met Trump tests positive for COVID-19; US Prez, Irish PM greet with 'Namaste'
- 'Broken' Coronavirus Testing Process in U.S. Coud Have Enabled Covid-19 to Spread 'Silently' for Weeks, Experts Warn
- Fighting COVID-19 together for a shared future
Africa proves rocky terrain for Russian and Chinese Covid-19 vaccines have 315 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at March 12, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.