Which is better for Earth : an electric or gas-powered vehicle? The answer to this question might seem blindingly obvious: Of course electric cars must be better for the environment, because they don't have exhausts and so don't emit greenhouse gasses as they drive. However, electric vehicles (EVs) aren’t perfect, and they come with their own set of polluting problems. Notably, their batteries contain components, such as lithium , that require a significant amount of energy to source and extract. But battery production is just one part of an electric car’s life span. A 2014 study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences looked at the entire life cycle of an EV’s emissions, from mining the metals required for the batteries to producing the electricity needed to power them, and then compared this with the average emissions of a gas-powered vehicle. The team found that when electric vehicles are charged with coal-powered electricity, they're actually worse for the environment than conventional gasoline cars. In much of the world, however, national grids are now clean enough for EVs to beat their gasoline-powered counterparts when it comes to pollution and greenhouse-gas emissions during their lifetimes. “Only when connected… Read full this story
- Brits want to go green but can't afford solar panels or electric cars, study finds
- Who said it? Ethan Hawke’s ‘Tesla’ or Tesla-worshipping Elon Musk?
- Jeff Bezos breaks world record with his ‘Space Penis’ rocket – beating rival Elon Musk
- Unruffled Yorkshire spirit dominates, but there's anger too in flooded homes
- Saturday Crapshoot: It Came From The Desert
- Taraji P Henson: 'I'm glad I kept my ego in check'
- Big John Fetterman Can Save the Democratic Party — if the Democrats Let Him
- This photo of children living in poverty caused shock waves in 1992. Where are they now?
Is an electric car better for the planet? have 301 words, post on www.livescience.com at February 28, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.