Kindly Share This Story:Tanzania has spent more than six months trying to convince the world it has been cured of the coronavirus through prayer while refusing to take measures to curb its spread. However, dissent is mounting, along with deaths attributed to “pneumonia”, with even a politician in semi-autonomous Zanzibar admitting he has the virus. “Covid-19 is killing people and we see a lot of cases but we cannot talk about the disease,” said a doctor in a public hospital in Tanzania’s biggest city Dar es Salaam, who like many asked not to be named for fear of reprisals. Tanzanian President John Magufuli has continually played down the seriousness of the virus even as neighbouring countries shut borders and implemented curfews and lockdowns. The country last gave case figures in April 2020, at the same time as Magufuli revealed he had secretly had a variety of items tested for the virus — of which papaya, a quail and a goat apparently tested positive. He alleged “sabotage” at the national laboratory, even though the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said Tanzania’s tests had been proven to be reliable. By June, Magufuli claimed prayer had saved the country… Read full this story
- Loudon County school board met in dark to decide Sunshine policy, lawsuit claims
- Africa: New & Resurgent Infectious Diseases Can Have Far-Reaching Economic Repercussions
- West African states in joint fight against root crop 'Ebola'
- West African states join efforts to launch battle against root crop 'Ebola'
- Nigeria Now Ready to Sign Africa Free Trade Deal
- The Pope, 'The Donald' and the wall between them
- Malawi: Opposition Demand Attorney General Resigns Over Malawi Police Food Scandal
- Nigeria: Buhari to Christian Leaders
- Africa: A Positive Force for Africa's Future
- Battling Zika...and armchair critics with wacky suggestions
COVID-19: Tanzania’s virus surge dents claims of prayer ‘cure’ have 291 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at February 8, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.