The blunt comments by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on the worsening humanitarian and human rights crisis in Ethiopia, and his references to an impending “disaster” in Tigray are a rude awakening for Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s government. Ahmed declared victory over the Tigrayan People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) in late November 2020. But six months later, the conflict is still going on, with the TPLF reportedly entrenching themselves and turning the conflict into a guerilla war. Eritrean troops, which Abiy belatedly admitted, were operating on Ethiopia’s soil and reportedly sometimes wearing Ethiopian army uniforms, have still not left Tigray. The UN says there is no sign of them leaving, either. Blinken’s comments bite America’s top diplomat openly pressing Ahmed to end the conflict in Tigray and demanding the withdrawal of Eritrean troops from Tigray “immediately, in full and in a verifiable manner” is telling. Tigrayan refugees have poured into neighboring Sudan Ethiopia is a longstanding American ally, and stability in Africa’s second-most populous country is key to anchoring the greater Horn of Africa region. “Biden wants to underline that the United States is returning to a hybrid foreign policy that includes stronger statements on values and human rights and governance in particular,” says Alex… Read full this story
- Tigray region's defiance puts strains on Ethiopia's unity
- Ethiopia's Tigray region to holds poll, defying federal government
- Ethiopia's Tigray holding regional elections in defiance of federal government
- Running on empty? Emerging markets burn through reserves fighting virus
- Trump's diagnosis throws election into chaos, threatens governing crisis
- Protest Is Part Of The Black American Tradition. Young Activists Are Reshaping The Movement In Their Image.
- Thin, faint, exhausted: Many predict Rishi Sunak will be the next PM... but a new biography by LORD ASHCROFT reveals 18-hour days battling the Covid crisis has pushed him to the limit
- Belarus musician emerges as a key opposition activist
- State of efficiency: How Kerala has handled the coronavirus crisis
- Fareed Zakaria: ‘My Fear Is COVID-19 Will Be The Dress Rehearsal And We Will Have Another Crisis Too Big To Handle’
Tigray crisis dents Ethiopia's emerging image have 340 words, post on www.dw.com at January 27, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.