Thailand's first low-cost airline founder has died at the age of 66. Udom Tantiprasongchai, who passed away yesterday, started his business in 1994 with Cambodia International Airlines. The airline began operating regular flights from Phnom Penh to Phuket before expanding to other areas in Southeast Asia. After his airline licences were revoked by the Cambodian government, he started Orient Thai Airlines in Thailand where he introduced flights between cities that didn't pass through Don Mueang Airport. Later on, the airlines added Don Mueang to its destinations but claimed the government was blocking access to Thai airports to protect Thai Airways International. Then, in 2012, Udom set up Thailand's first low-budget airline, One-Two-Go, as the government opened up to new competition. That airline fought with other low-cost airlines who were accused of dumping air tickets. Tragedy was not far off, as a flight from Don Mueang crash-landed at Phuket Airport, killing 90 people on board, with most of them being foreigners. The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand revoked Orient Thai's licence in 2018 due to its financial problems with other airlines. Such issues included a court in Paris sentencing Udom in 2019, in absentia, to 4 years in jail and fining… Read full this story
- Virgin Australia: Up to eight bidders expected for ailing airline
- CORRECTED-No-frills tycoon Franke says low air fares no panacea for COVID-19 crisis
- No-frills tycoon Franke says low air fares no panacea for COVID-19 crisis
- Shocking footage shows packed American Airlines flight leaving NYC as stunned grandmother-to-be claims 'no safety precautions' were taken to stop spread of COVID-19
- Airlines go for cuts again as grounding may extend
- If airlines are suffering, why are some planes so full in US?
- Airlines gear up to restore domestic flight network in June
- For imperiled airlines, it keeps getting worse
- Vietnam Airlines to resume all domestic flights next month
- Lifting of seat distancing rule sees airlines operate at close to full capacity
Thailand’s first low-cost airline founder dies have 315 words, post on thethaiger.com at January 17, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.