Wikipedia, which has been referred to as a world treasure, turns 20 on Friday. According to research conducted over the years — including a scientific study published by the journal Nature in 2005 and a report commissioned by the site’s Wikimedia Foundation in 2012 — Wikipedia’s entries are comparable in quality to those in prestigious encyclopedias such as Britannica. However, it is difficult to measure the consistency of information that can be altered at any time. Sometimes, the quality of entries is a question of word count because longer articles will generally contain more details. Length, though, varies by language. For example, a sentence in French might contain more words than one in Kiswahili, which attaches subjects, objects and tenses to verbs. Measuring according to the file size of an entry is also of limited use because some alphabets take up more virtual space, Martin Rulsch, who works for the German section of Wikimedia and has volunteered for the site in various capacities for over 15 years, told DW. Rulsch said quality must be gauged by individual indicators. He said a large number of contributors alone did not necessarily translate to quality content. An article that was initially “researched in detail” and factually sound would not always… Read full this story
- Fact-check: Could Macron form own political group in next Parliament?
- BIRN Fact Check: Serbian Officials Play Numbers Game with Rallies
- Fact-checking: Annulling the Posting of Workers Directive, an impossible proposition
- Wikipedia founder appointed to judge trustworthiness of news, proving satire is dead
- Donald Trump Jr signed checks for hush money related to affair
- YouTube fact-checker mislabels footage of Notre Dame fire as 9/11 terror attacks
- Five ways Eminem changed hip hop, 20 years on from the Slim Shady LP
- Kerry's reality check
- Tomás O'Sé: 'This was a reality check for two or three men who'd been having a great league'
- Eamonn Sweeney: 'Time to face up to cold facts, or pay price of self-delusion'
Fact check: As Wikipedia turns 20, how credible is it? have 312 words, post on www.dw.com at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.