Dubai s tourism department Thursday announced an immediate halt to all live entertainment at hotels and restaurants, a day after suspending non-urgent surgeries at hospitals to deal with an influx of COVID-19 patients. Both decisions come after months of Dubai promoting itself as the ideal pandemic-friendly vacation spot while coronavirus infections skyrocketed. Now, the sheikhdom is showing signs of strain. Even as cases surged to previously unseen heights in the United Arab Emirates, the city-state of Dubai had been a glimmering desert oasis for tourists fleeing tough lockdowns elsewhere. Since reopening in the spring, the commercial hub has resisted more restrictions that would pummel its economy, built largely on aviation, hospitality and retail. Despite the ubiquitous masks outdoors, a sense of pre-pandemic normalcy has prevailed in the city. Bands, dancers and DJs had been performing in bars and clubs for socially-distanced crowds. Hotel occupancy rates surged over 70% in December, nearing 2019 holiday levels. The city's airport welcomed over 70,000 travelers for New Year's weekend alone. Soon countries like the United Kingdom and Israel that had sent droves to Dubai over the winter holidays closed their travel corridors, citing alarm over the UAE's spike in infections. As late as Tuesday,… Read full this story
- Students across the country take CSATs amid surging virus cases
- Coronavirus: Netherlands joins neighbours in tightening COVID-19 restrictions amid surge in cases
- Portugal extends lockdown and restricts foreign travel amid surge in COVID-19 cases
- Soaring virus cases inch toward threshold for Level 3 restrictions
- Surging Virus Prompts Call to Halt In-Person TV and Film Production
- Stay-at-Home Orders Set to Continue Amid ‘Surge on Top of a Surge’
- India sets another global record for daily new virus cases and looks to bolster vaccine rollout
- Iran Sees New Surge in Virus Cases After Reopening Country
- Indonesians prefers tightened restrictions to lockdown amid surging Covid-19 cases
- UK virus cases hit highest since Feb 5 amid 'grab a jab'
Dubai halts live entertainment amid surge in virus cases have 312 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at January 21, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.