Scientists say it could be “necessary” in the future to vaccinate pets against COVID-19 to stop the spread of the virus. Co ronavirus can infect a wide range of species including cats, dogs, mink and other domesticated species, experts from the University of East Anglia (UEA), Norwich-based research facility the Earlham Institute and the University of Minnesota have said. Latest coronavirus updates from the UK and around the world In an editorial for the journal Virulence, they wrote that continued evolution of the virus in animals followed by transmission to humans “poses a significant long-term risk to public health”. “It is not unthinkable that vaccination of some domesticated animal species might be necessary to curb the spread of the infection,” they said. Advertisement Last year, Denmark’s government culled millions of mink after it emerged that hundreds of COVID-19 cases in the country were linked with coronavirus variants associated with farmed mink. One of the editorial’s authors, Cock van Oosterhout, professor of evolutionary genetics at UEA, said dogs and cats can contract coronavirus but there are no known cases of them carrying it on to humans. More on Animals Pet owner fears their cats died after eating dry food recalled over links to… Read full this story
- Pet travel tips over the holidays
- Scientists are implanting gene-edited PIG organs in monkeys so they could one day be used in humans
- 19-Year-Old Cat Abandoned At Logan Airport But Quickly Adopted
- We Asked All Of The 2020 Presidential Candidates Their Thoughts On Vaccines. Here's What They Said.
- Deadly measles complication is more common than thought, study says
- Africa wants to manufacture its own vaccines
- Boris Johnson blames 'superstitious mumbo jumbo' spread online about the supposed risks of vaccines for the UK LOSING its measles-free status
- Việt Nam gets new generation vaccine technology from UK
- Bug busters: The tech behind new vaccines
- Pet care costs can top human medical bills, new report reveals
COVID-19: Vaccinating pets could become 'necessary', scientists say have 314 words, post on news.sky.com at January 25, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.