Matt Hancock today warned that ‘nothing is ruled out’ to contain mutant Covid as he defied Tory anger to hint the whole of England will be under Tier 4 within days – and enforcement could be hardened. The Health Secretary put Britons on notice that stronger restrictions will be needed for months, despite the optimism sparked by the first Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine doses being administered. Responding to demands from scientists and Labour for an immediate new national squeeze, Mr Hancock said all options were on the table. But he suggested the first step will be to escalate even more of the country into the harshest restrictions, saying Tier 3 did not seem able to hold back the more infectious version of the deadly disease. He insisted the problem was partly down to people failing to obey the rules, amid calls from some MPs for police to be given more powers. Meanwhile, parents are facing chaos as many primary schools defy the government’s orders to return after the Christmas holidays – with speculation that ministers will be forced into another humiliating U-turn. SAGE has cautioned that it is probably impossible to control the new coronavirus variant while they remain open – although… Read full this story
- Ghost town: Leicester streets are deserted on first day in local lockdown as Matt Hancock says police WILL enforce curbs but residents WON'T be banned from leaving despite fears many will just meet up elsewhere
- NHS chief warns of Super Saturday 'pub-ageddon' as Matt Hancock declares drunken thugs will be thrown into jail if they break the law as bars and restaurants reopen from 6am
- Officials WILL look again at whether Britons should wear face coverings or masks in public, Matt Hancock reveals as top scientists argue they should be 'part of the new normal'
- Foreign summer holidays will likely be cancelled this year, says Matt Hancock
- Leicester's Covid-19 infection rate has dropped 13% in a week but the city's lockdown still won't be reviewed until July 18 as Matt Hancock refuses to reveal threshold for easing measures
- Health Secretary Matt Hancock threatens to CLOSE beaches and re-lockdown local areas after 'major incident' in Bournemouth, thousands of Liverpool fans celebrate title win and police come under attack from revellers for second night
- Drinkers gather outside pubs across Britain amid 73F sunshine today ahead of longest day of the year as Rishi Sunak hints that two-metre rule will be relaxed next week
- Police say they WILL stop drivers leaving Leicester and flouters will face £100 fines after reveller tries to hire a coach to take friends from COVID-hit city for a night out in Nottingham when pubs open on Saturday
- The Leicester lockdown divide: Neighbours living just inches apart tell of their confusion as city is split between those who MUST stay home and those gaining new freedoms - as police say they will spot-check cars leaving restricted zone
- Officers could use ROADBLOCKS to police Leicester lockdown with residents warned NOT to risk trying to pop for a pint this weekend
Britain faces lockdown limbo: Tory fury as Matt Hancock hints at tougher enforcement saying 'nothing is ruled out' and admitting new squeeze to fight 'out of control' mutant Covid will last MONTHS – with vaccines only hope of escape have 489 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 4, 2021. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.