SYDNEY: Australian Tyler Wright won the first women’s tour title at Hawaii’s famed Pipeline break on Sunday (Dec 20) after the World Surf League event was moved because of fatal shark attack on a recreational surfer at the original venue. Wright’s victory in the Maui Pro was followed by another breakthrough triumph when John John Florence finally claimed a win at his home break, having first competed in the Pipeline Masters as a 13-year-old prodigy in 2005. The events at the dangerous reef break on O’ahu’s North Shore marked the return of the WSL tour after a year when travel restrictions caused by the COVID-19 prevented any action on the circuit, but they were not without complications. The shark attack on the 56-year-old surfer at Maui’s Honolulu Bay earlier this month forced organisers to relocate the women’s event and the Pipeline Masters had to be suspended when the WSL’s chief executive and other officials tested positive for COVID-19. Wright edged Hawaii’s four-times world champion Carissa Moore in Sunday’s final and the significance of winning her second Maui Pro at Pipeline was not lost on her. “We got this opportunity through tragedy, it’s devastating what happened at Maui,” said the 26-year-old…. Read full this story
- Germany and US leading the way in crucial period for women's football
- Big Brother winners UK – full list of past champions from Craig Phillips to Josie Gibson
- 19 best white t-shirts for women: essential must-haves to wear at home right now
- Who will win Celebrity Masterchef 2020? Latest odds
- Celebrity MasterChef 2020 lineup: Who are the contestants taking part?
- NTAs 2020: Holly Willoughby looks worse for wear as she struggles to fit her huge gown in the car while TOWIE stars Chloe Sims and Ferne McCann make VERY bleary-eyed exits from raucous after parties
- Oh Ole, how did we ever doubt you!
- Strictly Come Dancing 2020 rumours: Katie Price, Joe Wicks and Michelle Keegan
- Will Independence Day 2 Destroy Finding Dory at the Box Office?
- George Floyd: Nelson Mandela at times like this
Surfing: Wright first women's winner at Pipeline, home triumph for Florence have 335 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at December 21, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.