Synopsis The conflict in Tigray region has killed hundreds and possibly thousands, sent 30,000 refugees into Sudan and called into question whether Prime Minister Abiy Ahmen, Africa’s youngest leader and last year’s Nobel Peace Prize winner, can hold together the nation together. ADDIS ABABA: U.S. President-elect Joe Biden ‘s foreign policy adviser on Thursday urged an end to fighting and protection for civilians in north Ethiopia , where federal troops are battling rebels in a war rocking the Horn of Africa and sending refugees fleeing. “Deeply concerned about the humanitarian crisis in Ethiopia, reports of targeted ethnic violence, and the risk to regional peace and security,” tweeted Antony Blinken. The conflict in Tigray region has killed hundreds and possibly thousands, sent 30,000 refugees into Sudan and called into question whether Prime Minister Abiy Ahmen, Africa’s youngest leader and last year’s Nobel Peace Prize winner, can hold together the nation together. Ethiopia is a federation of states run by separate ethnic groups, and the war pits the central government against one of the most heavily militarised regions. The northern Tigray People’s Liberation Front ( TPLF ) effectively ruled Ethiopia for decades as the strongest force in a multi-ethnic coalition, until Abiy… Read full this story
- Seven Things to Know about Tony Blinken, Joe Biden's Pick for Secretary of State
- US President Joe Biden vows to stand with SE Asia in defending freedom of seas, democracy
- Joe Biden, the pope and the looming schism in America's Catholic Church
- China warns Joe Biden's nuclear submarine pact "intensifies arms race"
- 'Today is Good Day For Democracy': World Leaders Congratulate US President Joe Biden
- US President Joe Biden vows to stand with Asia on freedom, hits out at China on Taiwan
- Joe Biden, Vladimir Putin summit doesn't signal new friendliness with Russia, White House says
- Joe Biden penalises Russia over alleged cyber-attacks amid escalating tensions
- Joe Biden calls for REVENGE on ISIS-K after Kabul attack: 'Whatever is necessary!'
- What Joe Biden Could Learn From Henry Kissinger
Joe Biden team anxious over escalating war in United States ally Ethiopia have 325 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at November 19, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.