ADDIS ABABA/NAIROBI (REUTERS) – Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed said on Saturday (Nov 28) that military operations in the northern region of Tigray have been completed, shortly after he announced federal troops had seized full control of the regional capital Mekelle. "I am pleased to share that we have completed and ceased the military operations in the Tigray region," he said in a tweet. Less than an hour earlier, he said in a statement, "The federal government is now fully in control of the city of Mekelle". There was no immediate comment from the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF) forces, who have been fighting Ethiopian troops for the past three weeks in a conflict that has sent shockwaves through the Horn of Africa. Abiy said police were searching for the TPLF leaders. It was not clear if any of them had surrendered. "Federal police will now continue their task of apprehending TPLF criminals and bring them to the court of law," said the prime minister, who has called the government offensive a law and order operation. Claims from all sides are difficult to verify since phone and internet links to the region have been down and access has been tightly… Read full this story
- Dyson Heydon: ACT chief prosecutor asks police to investigate sexual harassment allegations
- U.N. chief says foreign meddling in Libya conflict at 'unprecedented levels'
- Military-level talks on India-China border situation positive: Rajnath
- Mattis's Trump broadside underscores military tensions
- Ex-CIA Chief Demands Sanctions Over Taliban Bounty Story, Despite Zero Supporting Evidence
- Poll: Abba Kyari warns foreign powers, says US, UK, EU against Buhari, Nigeria
- Vietnam joins virtual ASEAN Chiefs of Army Multilateral Meeting
- Canterbury health staff asked to pitch savings ideas as board grapples with cost-cutting
- No intrusion in our territory, army has free hand, says PM
- EXCLUSIVE: 'This is like 9/11 every day.' NYC EMS chief tells how his responders work 16 hour shifts and sleep in their cars to answer calls - but Mayor de Blasio refuses to recognize their deaths as 'in the line of duty' so families can receive benefits
Ethiopian military has taken 'full control' of Tigray capital, chief of staff says have 344 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at November 29, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.