REUTERS: Intel Corp on Friday said that it has won a second-phase contract in a project aimed at helping the U.S. military make more advanced semiconductors within the United States. Under the project, Intel will help the military develop prototypes of chips using its semiconductor packaging technology at factories in Arizona and Oregon. The packaging technology allows pieces of chips called “chiplets” from different providers to be combined into one package, helping cram more features into a smaller finished product while lowering its power consumption. Intel declined to disclose a dollar figure for its portion of the contract, which is being overseen by the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division. Intel won part of the first phase of the contract in 2019. Intel’s work with the Defense Department comes as U.S. officials focus on boosting domestic semiconductor manufacturing in response to the rise of China as a strategic competitor. About 75per cent of the world’s chipmaking capacity is in Asia, with many of the most advanced plants in Taiwan and Korea, within the reach of the Chinese and North Korean militaries. "I think one of the areas where we can have the most impact on China broadly is re-shoring microelectronics,”… Read full this story
- Intel Xe Graphics: Release Date, Specs, Everything We Know
- TSMC working on 2nm chips: Report
- Trump unveils 3-phase plan to reopen country
- Coronavirus latest: Not in end phase of pandemic, Merkel says
- In-Depth | With practical, ethical conundrums, could 'immunity certificate' help India ease the coronavirus lockdown?
- Intel NUC 9 Extreme review: small size, big potential
- Apple's first ARM-based Macs on track to arrive in 2021, will use one of three new 5nm chips based on the A14 SoC
- China Approves Nvidia's Mellanox Deal, Could Help Fight AMD and Intel in Exascale
- Coronavirus updates: Another 4.4 million US jobless claims, CDC director warns of second wave of COVID-19
- Coronavirus updates: Another 4.4 million US jobless claims, CDC director warns of second wave
Intel wins second phase of contract to help Pentagon develop chips have 318 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 2, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.