REUTERS: Verizon Communications Inc said on Monday it will buy pre-paid mobile phones provider Tracfone, a unit of Mexican telecoms giant America Movil, in a US$6.25 billion cash and stock deal. Tracfone, which serves about 21 million subscribers through more than 90,000 retail locations across United States, said more than 13 million of its subscribers rely on Verizon’s network under an existing agreement. Verizon is the largest U.S. wireless carrier by subscribers. The U.S. wireless industry is concentrated in the hands of three mobile carriers due to several merger deals in recent years: T-Mobile, which in April completed its US$23 billion merger with Sprint Corp to solidify its position in the United States; AT&T Inc; and Verizon. America Movil, which was created from a state monopoly, is Mexico’s largest telecoms operator by far and is controlled by the family of Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the Latin American nation’s richest man. Tracfone had become popular with the lower end of the ultra-competitive U.S. telecoms consumer market and Verizon now plans to provide new products for that segment after this “strategic acquisition,” said Hans Vestberg, chairman and chief executive of Verizon. “This transaction firmly establishes Verizon, through the Tracfone brands, as the… Read full this story
- CCI approves Google's $4.5 billion deal with Jio
- Best Prime Day Amazon Echo deals 2020: The best sales you can still shop
- Huawei reportedly in final stages of selling sub-brand Honor, deal may be confirmed by November 20
- The iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are now available. Here’s how to buy them both
- T-Mobile and Sprint are one: What you need to know about the mobile mega-merger
- Verizon's iPhone 12 Mini and Pro Max offers include buy-one-get-one-free for new lines
- Best Black Friday Pixel phone deals
- Should you buy the new iPhone 12 Mini or Pro Max directly from Apple?
- iPhone SE Black Friday 2020: Live deals
- Best Prime Day smart home deals 2020: The best sales you can still shop
Verizon to buy pre-paid mobile service Tracfone in US$6.25 billion deal have 315 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 14, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.