If notorious killer Charles Manson can get a fair trial then so can Ghislaine Maxwell, lawyers for her accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre have said. Giuffre’s lawyers rejected Maxwell’s claim that releasing a trove of documents from their 2016 lawsuit would lead to a storm of negative publicity and prejudice her trial. Maxwell last month pleaded with judges not to ‘let the cat out of the bag’ by unsealing the documents, after she denied charges of helping Jeffrey Epstein to recruit and abuse young girls. But Giuffre’s lawyers wrote in a Wednesday court filing: ‘Other high-profile cases where courts successfully managed extensive pretrial publicity – and rejected defendants’ arguments that it compromised their right to a fair trial – include the trials of al-Qaeda affiliate Khalid al-Fawwaz, labor union leader Jimmy Hoffa and murderer and cult leader Charles Manson.’ Quoting from a ruling in the Manson case which ended with the killer being sentenced to life in prison in 1972, Giuffre’s lawyers said that massive pre-trial publicity ‘does not automatically translate into prejudice’. Ghislaine Maxwell (pictured in a court sketch during a July 14 hearing) is battling to block the release of documents from her 2016 lawsuit against Virginia Roberts Giuffre RELATED ARTICLES… Read full this story
- Grooming trials ‘put at risk’ by Tommy Robinson
- A Worn Out Welcome: Ecuadorian Embassy Sours on Julian Assange
- Brit student's health 'deteriorating' after being jailed for life in UAE
- Musk's Top Advisers Urged Twitter Break After Cave Diver Attack
- BBC defends booking Brexit donor Arron Banks for Andrew Marr despite investigation into 'multiple criminal offences'
- UAE says evidence against jailed academic Matthew Hedges was ‘compelling’
- Millions in damages in offing after Sky TV's victory over pirate
- Jeremy Hunt held "constructive" talks with UAE over Matthew Hedges case
- What is Harvard trying to hide?
- 2 Giuliani associates connected to Ukraine probe arrested — live updates
'If Charles Manson can get a fair trial, so can Ghislaine Maxwell': Lawyers for Virginia Giuffre reject claim by Epstein 'madam' that releasing documents would wreck her trial have 299 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 10, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.