Boris Johnson’s Covid clampdown has divided his Cabinet, it emerged last night. He faces a fierce Tory backlash over the contentious ‘rule of six’ that bans gatherings of seven or more from Monday. A string of senior ministers opposed the measure at a crunch meeting, with Chancellor Rishi Sunak among those to speak out. A Cabinet source said the rule of six was opposed by every member of the Prime Minister’s coronavirus strategy committee on Tuesday apart from Matt Hancock. The Health Secretary is said to have driven the decision, supported by Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty and Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance. ‘Everyone apart from Hancock wanted to set the limit on groups at eight or more,’ the source said. ‘Even the PM was initially cautious about taking the limit all the way down to six. The majority view was that this level of social distancing will have a huge impact on people’s lives and the economy. But Hancock got his way.’ Announcing the crackdown on Wednesday, Mr Johnson insisted it was needed to keep virus cases under control even though it ‘broke his heart’ to keep families apart. Boris Johnson’s Covid clampdown has divided his Cabinet, it has… Read full this story
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson self-isolates after MP he met tests positive for Covid-19
- Last push to beat Covid: Boris Johnson unveils post-December 2 lockdown 'Tiers' vowing they will be 'redundant' by MARCH amid rising vaccine hopes - with gyms and Christmas shopping back on the cards but warnings of a 'catastrophe' for pubs
- Civil servants have 'serious doubts' over Covid safety in Government as 10 Tory MPs join Boris Johnson in self-isolation after one tested positive
- Boris Johnson makes an impassioned plea to Britons as he offers rebel MPs the chance to kill off Covid tiers in nine weeks
- Boris Johnson SELF-ISOLATES after holding a 35-minute meeting with MP who later tested positive for Covid - even though PM already had the virus once
- PM's standards adviser QUITS as Boris Johnson REFUSES to sack Priti Patel after bullying probe finds she DID break ministerial code as Home Secretary apologises for 'my behaviour in the past'
- Self-Isolating Boris Johnson Declares Himself 'Fit as a Butcher's Dog'
- Will the lockdown continue and what will reopen when it finally ends? As Boris Johnson plans a NEW system of tiered Covid-19 restrictions next month, we answer the most pressing questions
- As the prefects guffawed, MPs stared daggers: HENRY DEEDES watches Matt Hancock announcing the new coronavirus tiers
- 'Unfortunately, I have got something in the diary for tomorrow': Awkward moment Matt Hancock makes excuses as he's ambushed on live TV and asked to appear on GMB after government boycotted show for 200 days
Cabinet at war over the rule of six: Almost every minister on Boris Johnson's Covid committee argued against the stringent limit - and even the PM himself was 'cautious'- but Matt Hancock got his way have 447 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 10, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.