Almost no one is happy all the time, and unhappiness is a common experience for most people. But looking at anecdotal evidence, age seems to be a factor that has a strong effect on unhappiness. While most of us perceive young kids as rather happy, mid-adulthood seems to be an age that is particularly difficult, as suggested by the term “midlife crisis.” While the midlife crisis is an established phenomenon, more recently the term “quarter-life crisis” has been coined to describe an increase in unhappiness that some people experience in their 20s. However, whether these age-related increases in unhappiness are just individual reports or a general phenomenon that can be found in most people across different countries has been unclear so far. A new study, published in the Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization (Blanchflower, 2020), systematically investigated this question in a large sample of people. In the study, the author analyzed data from more than 14 million participants from over 40 different countries. Specifically, participants had answered questions regarding the following thematic groups related to unhappiness: 1. Mental Health (this category included questions about having many “not good” mental health days, suffering from depression, being worried, feeling sad, experiencing stress, being under strain,… Read full this story
- “Happy House” for Unhappy People
- Children aged 10 ‘victims of cyberbullying by classmates who share half naked pictures of them’, youth group warns
- Dylan Collins: Why is Ireland going for lowest age for digital consent?
- Soaring numbers of children going missing in care – with five reports a day and youngest child aged four
- Dale Winton's insecurities about his age led him to multiple plastic surgeries
- Uganda: Cheptegei's Father Unhappy, Maj Seiko Cries
- Former France football coach Henri Michel dies aged 70
- Don Cunningham column: We're connected to everything — and nothing — and unhappy
- 'Completely unacceptable': Saints chief unhappy with start to 2018
- Recent Posts
At What Age Are We Most Unhappy? have 308 words, post on www.psychologytoday.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.