São Paulo (CNN)In the corner of a COVID-19 ward in Sao Paulo, Brazil, a woman cleaning the mouth of an intubated patient carries an extraordinary hope for pretty much all of us. Slipping a mouthwash-soaked brush into an elderly woman’s mouth, at great personal daily risk, dentist Denise Abranches has something more than courage in her veins. Abranches was the first of an expected 5,000 Brazilian key workers in the healthcare system to receive a trial coronavirus vaccine from Oxford University and multinational drugmaker AstraZeneca, along with volunteers in the UK and South Africa. Across the city, frontline medics like her have enrolled in a Phase 3 test of the vaccine’s efficacy as they battle the pandemic, which has infected more than 2 million Brazilians. And it isn’t just Oxford testing its vaccine in this vast human petri dish. Chinese firm Sinovac began trials last week in Sao Paulo, and US pharma giant Pfizer plans to do so soon, bringing a race among powers to prove their vaccine works first. Yet while nations fret over securing access to a vaccine, the potential geopolitical implications mean nothing in this ward. “To volunteer is an act of love, to donate a little… Read full this story
- 2nd Dallas Health Care Worker Tests Positive for Ebola
- ‘Women’s Health Care’ at Planned Parenthood: 321,384 Abortions, Zero Mammograms
- Recently Published Book Spotlight: Rethinking Health Care Ethics
- To survive, health care needs small data to become adaptive
- Health Care Is Where The Jobs Are. But What Kind Of Jobs?
- McCain’s Complicated Health Care Legacy: He Hated the ACA. He Also Saved It.
- Powerful NY Unions Could Complicate Push For Single Payer Health Care
- Home Health Aide Workers Say 24-Hours Work For 13-Hours Pay Is Modern Day Slavery
- Home Health Aide Workers Often Pull 24 Hour Shifts. So Why Are They Only Paid For 13?
- GOP Snake Oil, Health Care and the Supremes
The world's hopes for a coronavirus vaccine may run in these health care workers' veins have 312 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 27, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.