MADRID: Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos kept his nerve to score a late penalty and secure a hard-fought 1-0 home win over Getafe on Thursday (Jul 2) for a sixth consecutive La Liga victory to take his side one step closer to winning the title. Ramos coolly passed the ball into the net to break the deadlock in the 79th minute after Dani Carvajal was felled by the trailing leg of Getafe’s Mathias Olivera, who was earlier denied a penalty after being knocked over by Carvajal. The late strike felt harsh on Getafe, who had squandered a couple of chances to take the lead, but Zinedine Zidane’s side once again saw out a difficult game to capitalise on Barcelona’s 2-2 draw with Atletico Madrid on Tuesday. Real, who have not won the title since 2017, lead the table on 74 points, four ahead of Barca with five games left and have a superior head-to-head record over the Catalans which would give them the trophy if both teams finished the season level on points. “Today was like a final for us and that’s how we approached it,” said Real’s Dani Carvajal. “Getafe caused us plenty of problems, particularly in the first… Read full this story
- Odriozola, Llorente and De Tomas miss out on Real Madrid squad to face Getafe
- Real Madrid are still waiting for their supporters
- Is the midfield of Modric, Kroos and Casemiro the best in Real Madrid's history?
- Kanoute: Real Madrid will win the Champions League again
- The five positives from Real Madrid's league debut
- Real Madrid domination: More possession than ever with Zidane
- Real Madrid transmit optimism
- Granero: Real Madrid is my home and if ever I forget it, they remind me
- The goals dry up for Real Madrid in LaLiga Santander
- Real Madrid train without Jesus Vallejo after Getafe win
Football: Real Madrid close in on title after edging Getafe have 298 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 3, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.