(CNN)The flu vaccine significantly lowered the risk of heart attacks, strokes and some other cardiovascular conditions for people at high risk, researchers reported Monday. Yet these high-risk adults are less likely to get the vaccine than others, the researchers told an American Heart Association meeting. Adults over 50 who got flu vaccines during a hospitalization had a 28% lower risk of a heart attack the following year. They also had a 47% lower risk of a mini stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA), 85% lower risk of cardiac arrest and 73% lower risk of overall death. The researchers looked at the rate at which the flu vaccine was administered to hospital patients who are at high risk for flu and its complications. This includes people over the age of 50, HIV/AIDS patients, people in nursing homes and those who are obese. Flu and pneumonia shots may lower risk for Alzheimer’s, studies find Only 168,325 patients were vaccinated during hospitalization out of more than 7 million high-risk patients hospitalized, based on the 2014 National Inpatient Sample, the largest database of US hospitals. Read More About 1.8% of hospitalized adults over the age of 50 were likely to be vaccinated during hospitalization… Read full this story
- Study prompts call to examine flu vaccine and miscarriage
- Firefighters who survived 9/11 are more likely to develop heart disease, study finds
- Safe And Effective Methods To Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
- Catching the flu makes you up to 40% more likely to have a stroke (and the risk lasts for as long as a year)
- Could a one jab stop stop the bug scientists think is responsible for Britain's biggest killers dementia, diabetes and heart disease?
- The simple heart health check that could save your life
- Blood-thinning Drugs May Reduce Dementia Risk: Study
- Cutting about 300 calories a day might benefit your heart, study finds
- How do people die from the flu?
- 6 things you can do right now to help prevent the flu
Flu vaccine significantly lowers risk of heart attack, stroke among high-risk groups, researchers find have 310 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 27, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.