Kindly Share This Story:Burundi’s top court has made a ruling aimed at ending the power vacuum created by the sudden death of President Pierre Nkurunziza on Monday. The Constitutional Court said President-elect Evariste Ndayishimiye should be sworn in as soon as possible. Legally, the Speaker of parliament, Pascal Nyabenda, should have become the interim leader. But the cabinet decided to refer to the court and now Mr. Ndayishimiye is due to become president two months early. He was elected in May to replace President Nkurunziza, who had been in power for 15 years. READ ALSO: Burundi cabinet wants court to declare presidency vacant Burundi’s top judges said that in the constitution the interim period under the speaker of parliament was designed as a time to hold fresh elections, but the president-elect’s recent victory made this unnecessary. Mr. Nkurunziza had been able to run for a fourth term in last month’s election but decided to retire and was to be known as the “supreme guide to patriotism”. The government said he died of a cardiac arrest after being taken ill on Saturday evening. The ruling ends days of uncertainty about the succession in the small East African country where Burundians have been… Read full this story
- Boiler owners facing reduced RHI payments following a court ruling are to have their appeal heard in full next year
- Supreme Court Weighs Ending Non-Unanimous Jury Verdicts in Criminal Cases
- Sri Lanka parliament sacks Rajapakse, leaving power vacuum
- Sri Lanka in power vacuum as new prime minister voted down
- US appeals court rules Trump administration must continue DACA immigration program
- Oyston/Belokon saga one year on: What's happened since last year's High Court ruling?
- Death Of Regional 'Sheriff' Leaves Security Vacuum In Afghanistan
- Amid perceived power vacuum, dozens vie to be Haiti’s leader
- Amid perceived power vacuum, dozens vie to be Haiti's leader
- Amid perceived power vacuum, dozens vie to be Haitis leader
Nkurunziza death: Burundi court rules to end power vacuum have 315 words, post on www.vanguardngr.com at June 13, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.