For a long time, few people in the small Belgian town of Halle paid much attention to the monuments. They were just fixtures in a local park, tributes to great men of the past.But these are very different times, and yesterday’s heroes can be today’s racist villains.And so it was that three weeks ago, a bust of Leopold II, the Belgian king who has been held responsible for the deaths of millions of Congolese, was spattered in red paint, labeled “Murderer,” and later knocked off its pedestal.Nearby, a pale sandstone statue formally known as the Monument to the Colonial Pioneers has stood for 93 years. It depicts a naked Congolese boy offering a bowl of fruit in gratitude to Lt. Gen. Baron Alphonse Jacques de Dixmude, a Belgian soldier accused of atrocities in Africa.These monuments, and others across Europe, are coming under scrutiny as never before, no longer a collective blind spot on the moral conscience of the public. Protests sweeping the world that followed the death of George Floyd, a Black man killed last month by Minneapolis police, are focusing attention on Europe’s colonial past and racism of the present.Eric Baranyanka, a 60-year-old musician who… Read full this story
- Black Lives Matter protester explains why he vandalised 'racist' Churchill statue
- Black Lives Matters protesters flood Trafalgar Square in powerful scenes
- GOP Senator accuses a St. Louis prosecutor of ‘targeting’ the gun-wielding couple who pointed firearms at Black Lives Matter protesters and blasts her investigation as an ‘abuse of power'
- Statue of slave trader thrown into harbour at British Black Lives Matter protests
- From Donald Trump to Black Lives Matter protesters: There’s a mask for everyone
- 'There is no justification for pelting flares at brave officers or vandalising the statue of Winston Churchill': Priti Patel warns 'hooligans' who subverted Black Lives Matter protests they WILL face justice as Boris says Britain is not a racist country
- Vandalism Of Black Lives Matter Sign Thrusts Quiet City Of Martinez Into Spotlight No One Wants
- Charge them: Scott Morrison calls for 'disrespectful' protesters to be arrested if they attend Black Lives Matter rallies after COVID case found at last weekend's march
- Swedish Police Use Teargas as Black Lives Matter Demo Defies COVID-19 Restrictions - Photo, Video
- Black lives matter: ‘Kolkata has Clive statue, why remove it in UK?’
Black Lives Matter Protests: Monuments expose a troubled colonial legacy in this Belgian town have 384 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at June 28, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.