The Union government should not act as a sahukar (money lender) giving loans to people; instead it should help them with direct cash transfer, former Congress president Rahul Gandhi said on Saturday. He appealed to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rethink on the economic stimulus package.Interacting with journalists of regional media via videoconferencing, he said that as an Opposition leader, he was trying to put pressure on the government to directly transfer money into people’s hands, and warned that an ‘economic storm’ was on its way.Also read: More than 6.3 crore MSMEs on verge of economic ruin, Sonia Gandhi tells Narendra ModiMr. Gandhi reiterated that exiting the lockdown was not an event or an on-off switch. The government must get out of it ‘intelligently’ so that the economy as well as the vulnerable sections were protected.“I don’t want to make a political statement but I have a serious reservation about the nature of the package that the government has given and I would like it to reconsider,” he said.“I would like to appeal to the Government of India that you can surely offer loans but Mother India cannot act like a sahukar to her children. Mother India should directly transfer money into… Read full this story
- PM Modi refusing to fight coronavirus pandemic, says Rahul Gandhi
- Coronavirus | Lockdown only a pause button, testing is the only weapon, says Rahul Gandhi
- National interest is paramount, says Rahul Gandhi; fires 3 questions on Ladakh stand-off
- PM Modi's claim 'nobody took our land' is contrary to what Ladakhis say: Rahul Gandhi
- Texas couple dies from coronavirus while holding hands, family says: 'Off to a better place'
- Top news of the day: Chinese troops pull back 2km from site of Galwan Valley clashes; India's response to COVID-19 will be new case study in Harvard on failures, says Rahul Gandhi, and more
- Rahul Gandhi seeks exit plan, stimulus packages
- It is criminal not to give cash support to MSMEs: Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi not a doctor, retorts firm AgVa Healthcare after allegations of substandard, faulty ventilators
- Quiet 50th birthday for Rahul Gandhi, wishes pour in
Coronavirus package | Put money in the hands of people, says Rahul Gandhi have 345 words, post on www.thehindu.com at May 16, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.