By Stephen Watson Published 6 May 2020 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Coronavirus pandemic Twenty-nine life-saving kidney transplants have been performed in NI over the past two-and-a-half weeks. Transplant surgery was initially stopped because of the Covid-19 pandemic. But almost one third of NI’s kidney transplant waiting list has since been cleared. That is down to a successful collaboration between Belfast City Hospital, the Royal Victoria Hospital and the Ulster Independent Clinic. Kidney transplant consultant Dr Aisling Courtney, of the City Hospital, believes it is a remarkable achievement amid the current strain being put on the NHS. “To do so many transplants in such a short space of time is almost unbelievable,” she said. “It’s incredible that something so terrible as the Covid-19 infection has had a silver lining for us in terms of offering new life, in the midst of all that’s going on. “There’s been so much which has been so difficult for staff in the NHS, for patients and for relatives, so to be able to send a really positive message at this time is super.” While most other renal transplant centres across the UK closed down because of coronavirus, Belfast was… Read full this story
- Western Union urges customers to opt digital money transfer amidst COVID-19 crisis
- Dineout launches vouchers to offer financial support to Indian restaurants amidst Covid-19 crisis
- Coping With Covid-19 Crisis: The Mysterious Bookshop’s Otto Penzler On Bearing Up In Face Of NYC Shutdown
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: MSNBC Senior Segment Producer Begs Closing Of 30 Rock For Health Reasons
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: A Conversation With Pulitzer Prize-Winning Composer Tom Kitt
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: Former Cineworld Employee On Challenge Of Being Made Redundant & What Comes Next
- Coping With COVID 19 Crisis: Lee & Thompson Managing Partner Talks Legal Challenges & Production Impact
- Priyanka Chopra Urges Fans To Stock Up On Love And Compassion To Deal With COVID-19 Crisis!
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: ‘Come From Away’ Producers Sue Frost & Randy Adams Talk Shutdown, Salaries & Where Broadway Goes From Here
- What Makes India's Banking Regulator Stay Mum Amid Covid-19 Crisis
Almost 30 NI kidney transplants performed amidst Covid-19 crisis have 343 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.