The scene of an attack in in Beni, the Democratic Republic of Congo. (Photo: AFP/ VNA) Hanoi (VNA) – Ambassador Dang Dinh Quy , head of the Vietnamese Permanent Mission to the United Nations, has called for stronger international support for the Great Lakes Region in Africa, for peace and sustainable development. The ambassador made the appeal at a video conference of the UN Security Council (UNSC) on the situation in the Great Lakes Region , including the implementation of the peace agreement , on April 22. Quy affirmed Vietnam's support for the role of regional organisations in Africa and the UN, and lauded efforts of the Democratic Republic of Congo and regional countries to maintain a peaceful and cooperative environment. He, however, voiced concern over some security challenges in the region that have affected civilians, especially when the COVID-19 pandemic is spreading in this area. The root of the instability must be settled by comprehensive measures, he said, calling for greater efforts in diplomacy, reconciliation, restraining activities of armed groups and facilitating development in countries. Huang Xia, Special Envoy of the UN Secretary‑General for the Great Lakes Region, delivered a report on the implementation of the Peace, Security and… Read full this story
- Vietnam calls for greater trust building between ASEAN and Russia
- Vietnam calls for restraint on Taiwan Strait
- Taiwan President seeks international support amid China drills
- PM says ABC must have greater voice in Indo-Pacific region
- Zelenskyy calls for more support from Europe, Ukraine's EU candidacy
- China-Taiwan News LIVE Updates: Taiwan Prez Appeals for International Support; China Warns US Not to Stir Up 'Bigger Crisis'
- Ukraine again urges Jacinda Ardern to visit Kyiv, calls for more support
- Singapore and Vietnam commit to further strong collaborations
- Vietnam using autonomy mechanism to revolutionize universities
- S.F.’S Slow Streets face crucial vote about their future. Does Mayor London Breed support them?
Vietnam calls for greater international support for Great Lakes Region have 301 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at April 23, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.