WASHINGTON/LONDON/DUBAI (Reuters) – As the United States pressed Saudi Arabia to end its oil price war with Russia, President Donald Trump gave Saudi leaders an ultimatum. FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman during a family photo session with other leaders and attendees at the G20 leaders summit in Osaka, Japan, June 28, 2019. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo In an April 2 phone call, Trump told Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman that unless the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) started cutting oil production, he would be powerless to stop lawmakers from passing legislation to withdraw U.S. troops from the kingdom, four sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. The threat to upend a 75-year strategic alliance, which has not been previously reported, was central to the U.S. pressure campaign that led to a landmark global deal to slash oil supply as demand collapsed in the coronavirus pandemic – scoring a diplomatic victory for the White House. Trump delivered the message to the crown prince 10 days before the announcement of production cuts. The kingdom’s de facto leader was so taken aback by the threat that he ordered his aides out… Read full this story
- Oil posts biggest one-day gains after Trump touts Saudi-Russia oil deal
- UPDATE 13-Oil posts biggest one-day gains after Trump touts Saudi-Russia oil deal
- Wall St enjoys best week in 46 years as unemployment surges, OPEC strikes deal to cut oil supply
- Kuwait backs Saudi call for talks on cutting oil output
- SPECIAL REPORT-Drug Trump touts for virus in wide use, without hard evidence it works
- Trump could tariff foreign oil. That won't end the oil crisis
- Donald Trump says U.S. will CUT oil production to help Mexico take part in worldwide deal to increase prices and end Saudi-Russian price war - claiming move will NOT 'cost us anything'
- Global deal to cut oil output in sight after Mexico signs up
- OVERNIGHT ENERGY: Trump says US will cut oil production to secure global deal| Green groups press Biden for bolder plans after Sanders exits| EPA charts path to suspend hazardous waste cleanup amid coronavirus
- OPEC+ reaches deal to cut oil production by 9.7 million barrels per day
Special Report: Trump told Saudis: Cut oil supply or lose U.S. military support - sources have 363 words, post on www.reuters.com at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.