Lockdown is only a 'pause button' and not a solution to stop the spread of Coronavirus and the government should adopt aggressive and extensive testing to 'defeat' the virus, former Congress president Rahul Gandhi said on Thursday. In his first virtual press conference, Mr. Gandhi said that though he had many disagreements with the government and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, 'today is not the time to fight with each other but to unite the country and take on the virus'. To a query if the nature and structure of democracy would change post COVID-19, he said though there was a possibility right now, the priority was to fight the virus and the Congress knew how to keep India democratic. He cautioned the government on the migrant workers' issue, saying it should act quickly or there would be 'social unrest'. 'Don't worry' In the nearly hour-long interaction, he asked people not to worry. "You might be feeling that this is a very scary experience, we have never been locked up in our house, what is going to happen to us. I want you to know that this country is bigger than any disease," he said. Mr. Gandhi offered suggestions such as… Read full this story
- England and India trade memorable blows on compelling third day at Edgbaston to leave Test on knife-edge
- A digital game or a powerful weapon against boardroom crime?
- India's three-time prime minister Vajpayee dead at 93
- French jets get caught in Indian political storm
- Minister urged not to extend oil giant's permit
- Full text: Emily Thornberry’s Labour conference speech
- No Pasaran! Emily Thornberry gets rave reviews for her 'leadership bid'
- Edited Transcript of BA earnings conference call or presentation 24-Jul-19 2:30pm GMT
- Marvel's Spider-Man review
- MP had to be ordered to stop efforts to save Pc’s life after Westminster attack
Coronavirus | Lockdown only a pause button, testing is the only weapon, says Rahul Gandhi have 312 words, post on www.thehindu.com at April 16, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.