The rate of coronavirus deaths in Spain has slowed for the first time in a week, and the United States has passed the largest stimulus package in its history, as the global number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 approached half a million. Spain recorded 655 deaths in the past 24 hours, bringing the total there to 4,089, the health ministry said on Thursday. The number of confirmed cases in Spain stood at 56,188. The numbers offer a glimmer of hope a day after the country recorded one of the world’s highest one-day national death tolls of the pandemic to date – 738 – and its total number of deaths eclipsed that of China. The head of Spain’s health emergency centre, Fernando Simón, said the figures should be read with caution. “The data is encouraging, but we don’t know if this signals a change in the trend.” Hours earlier, the Spanish parliament approved extending the country’s near-total lockdown to 11 April. Nearly half of the deaths have been in Madrid, forcing authorities to improvise; days after an ice-skating rink at a shopping centre was turned into a makeshift morgue, football club Real Madrid said on Thursday that its Santiago Bernabéu stadium… Read full this story
- SAN FRANCISCO / D.A. won't pursue death in cop slaying / Harris fulfills campaign pledge with decision
- World Health Organisation warns of a 'slide back' in global measles fight amid unprecedented outbreak in Samoa that has killed 55 people
- 'There is a point where you feel so small and helpless in an enormous, insane nightmare of a world that you cease to give a hoot and start laughing'
- India to introduce death penalty for child rapists
- At least 21 dead after Mexico gun battle between police and cartel near Texas border
- Indian police arrest 14 after teenage girl raped and burned to death
- What is the Ebola virus? Symptoms, the statistics and risks as Congo confirms "six new cases"
- Bastille Day attack: 'Hysterical crowds were running from death'
- ‘I've seen death in this city, but nothing as sad as this’: how a ferry disaster exposed the corruption devastating Iraq
- Protests in India after woman gang raped and burned to death
Spanish coronavirus deaths slow as world nears 500,000 cases have 351 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 26, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.