He may be 94 years old, but Malaysia’s vanquished leader Mahathir Mohamad is not about to concede defeat to a man 22 years his junior. Key points: Mr Muhyiddin convinced Malaysia’s King that he had the majority support of Malaysia’s 222 parliamentarians Dr Mahathir said “If we go according to the constitution, he is not the right prime minister” Dr Bridget Welsh, a senior research fellow at the University of Nottingham said Mr Muhyiddin is a very deeply religiously devout person Even after Muhyiddin Yassin, his deputy in the Bersatu party, was sworn in as Prime Minister instead of him, Dr Mahathir was plotting his comeback with plans to seek a vote in parliament to challenge the result. “I have the majority support. I have 114 (seats), therefore Muhyiddin is giving the wrong information, that he has the majority, which he has not,” he said. “[Our] next move is whether we can show that we have no confidence in him. To do that we have to wait for parliament sitting.” Mr Muhyiddin, 72, a Malay nationalist politician backed by the corruption-tarnished former ruling party, UMNO, the United Malays National Party, was sworn in after convincing Malaysia’s King that he —… Read full this story
- Malaysia: Anwar Ibrahim released from prison
- Malaysia election: Mahathir sworn in as prime minister after hours of uncertainty
- John Skipper, ESPN’s former president, is back ... at a rival sports media company.
- Game of Thrones Returns With No Time to Spare (Literally)
- The Hater’s Guide To The 2019 Oscars
- Bernie Sanders: 'Let's not make people overly nervous' about socialism
- The battle for 'Workington Man': Older, white men in Leave-backing rugby league towns will be the key targets in the battle to win Westminster, say pollsters
- What films deserved to make our “best of 1999” list?
- DRIVEN: 2019 Proton Saga facelift review – 4AT is where it's at
- Univision Bosses Incompetent, Staffers Write
Mahathir plotting return to Malaysia's top job after King shocks voters by choosing rival have 305 words, post on www.abc.net.au at March 1, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.