BOLOGNA – Northern Italy currently is the centre of the COVID-19 outbreak in Europe. So far, 34 Italians have died as a result of the new coronavirus, and 1,700 have been infected. Schools in the region have been shut, universities have suspended lessons, companies have asked their staff to work from home, and many theatres, cinemas, and bars are closed. The virus caused the cancellation of the last two days of the Venice Carnival, which attracts thousands of visitors every year. And the area south of Milan, where Italy's first COVID-19 cases were reported, is under quarantine. PREVIOUS INSTANCES Epidemics are not new in Northern Italy, which was at the centre of trade routes throughout the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. In fact, Venice was the first city to develop methods to contain and treat virulently contagious diseases. Back then, the authorities isolated people with symptoms in lazarets (ships permanently at anchor and used for quarantine) on islands outside the city, and restricted the movements and interactions of healthy Venetians during a 40-day quarantine period. Evidence is mixed as to whether these measures were effective. Milan lost almost half its population to the plague in 1630, and Venice lost approximately 30… Read full this story
- We do not seem prepared enough to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic
- Why is Covid-19 death rate so low in Germany?
- Coronavirus explained: All your questions about COVID-19 answered
- Television, cooking, gym workout, fundraising: How football stars across Europe keep busy during coronavirus shutdown
- In face of global virus crisis, it’s time we strengthened resilience
- Commentary: Concerted global drive against pandemic brooks no delay
- Sports announcers get creative as virus wipes out day job
- Column: Virus is a catalyst for a fiscal reboot worldwide
- Pope Francis walks through Rome's deserted streets and delivers blessing above an empty square as Italians remain indoors amid coronavirus lockdown
- China tries to rewrite coronavirus narrative,deflect criticism
Commentary: COVID-19 is now coming for Italy and Europe have 307 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 2, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.