My first experience with music streaming led me to accidentally and irreversibly delete my digital library. A search of internet forums returned plenty of results from people in a similar position, and I could relate to the note of hysteria in their posts. “I deleted my entire Apple Music Library by accident and I need an adult to tell me everything will be okay and that I can get it all back,” read the subject line of one. “All my Spotify playlists are gone!! and there is no mail in my email and ur solutions don’t work,” lamented another. Since then I’ve been operating in the musical wilderness, unable to trust streaming services and unhappy with my unrecognisable iTunes library, which I managed to partially resurrect from a backup hard drive stored at my parents’ house a year after the calamitous event. After consulting widely I have realised I’m caught in the shift from a music model based on “ownership” to one based on “access”. And I’m not the only one. Apple’s announcement late last year of the end of iTunes as we have known it is a symbolic bookend to the “ownership” era. While streaming services are now the… Read full this story
- RIP, iPod: A Tribute to the Device That Revolutionized the Art of Music Fandom
- Exclusive: How Drake and Apple Music broke streaming records with More Life
- Coachella Defeated My Cynicism About Music Festivals
- RS Recommends: The Best Streaming Services Reviewed and Compared
- 10 Groovy Record Players For Listening To Your Favorite Music With Nostalgic Flair
- Eurovision 2017, semi final 1 recap: let's all do the saxophone dance, and other highlights
- Flashback: Two decades ago when iPod became the ‘quantum leap’ for digital music [Video]
- While Covid wanes, there's no end in sight for 'Aida'
- YouTube Music Is Getting New Features Like Improved Radio Algorithm; Podcasts Coming Soon?
- Who lives and who dies in the 'Ozark' finale? Season 4 ending explained
Streaming spells the end of the 'ownership' era of music, but are we ready to let go? have 319 words, post on www.theguardian.com at February 1, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.