The government's decision to celebrate Prince Andrew's birthday by flying the UK's national flag has apparently irked some lawmakers because of the royal's ties with Jeffrey Epstein. Prince Andrew is on the list of royals – including high-profile members of the royal family such as Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip – whose birthday is marked by town halls across the county flying the Union Jack at full-mast all day. An aide to Dame Melanie Dawes, permanent secretary at the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, has reportedly sent out an email to local governments reminding them to fly the flag for Prince Andrew on 19 February. Labour MPs Wes Streeting and Ian Murray blasted the order. Streeting told The Sun : "This would be wholly inappropriate. It should be knocked on the head immediately." Murray, a candidate for deputy party leader, said: "This protocol has to be binned, given the allegations against the Prince." And a source at a local council was quoted as a saying: "Making this gesture while there is a cloud hanging over the Duke is hugely insulting to Epstein's victims and those wanting answers." The prince and the predator The Duke of York, 59, had… Read full this story
- Queen's Birthday Honours list 2019 in full - from Olivia Colman to unsung heroes
- Queen's Birthday Honours list 2018 in full - from famous names to Britain's unsung heroes
- New dawn in Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh; India now has 28 states, 9 Union Territories
- 'You can't hide forever!' Boris Johnson vents fury at 'yellow belly' Jeremy Corbyn after MPs BLOCK his latest bid for snap election - then SHUTS Parliament for five weeks saying he will REFUSE to extend Brexit despite Remainer law
- Blood on his hands? Secretary of State Pompeo shakes hands and smiles with Saudi Crown Prince in Riyadh just as Turkish officials say they’ve found ‘certain evidence’ Saudi journalist was murdered
- Trooping the Colour recap: Meghan Markle looks relaxed as she appears on Buckingham Palace balcony at Queen's celebrations
- Black cabs fill Westminster Bridge as drivers line up to take veterans home from Remembrance Sunday services for FREE
- Women's charity calls for Sir Geoffrey Boycott's knighthood to be RESCINDED over his 2006 conviction for domestic abuse - as he dismisses criticism by telling Radio 4 host Martha Kearney: 'I couldn't give a toss, love'
- Yes, Jeremy Corbyn IS fuelling anti-Semitism: PROFESSOR DEBORAH LIPSTADT, whose epic court victory over a Holocaust denier was made into a film, lays out a damning charge sheet for the Labour leader
- OPINION: How The Left Is Mainstreaming Stalinist Terrorism
MPs Condemn Order to Local Councils to Fly Union Flag on Prince Andrew’s Birthday have 429 words, post on sputniknews.com at February 7, 2020. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.