The British and Irish Lions could make a debut appearance in Scotland ahead of next year’s South Africa tour.
It is understood that Scotland, Wales and Ireland are all possible hosts for a potential Lions fixture against a so-far unnamed opponent.
The game, if it takes place, would be in late June 2021 ahead of departure to South Africa for an eight-match tour that features three Tests against the world champions Springboks.
Twickenham, meanwhile, is unlikely to be available as the 2021 Gallagher Premiership final is scheduled there for June 26.
“We are always open for business, and have a track record of putting on big events beyond Scotland Test matches, such as football games for Celtic, Hearts and Liverpool, music concerts and European and Guinness PRO14 rugby finals,” the Scottish Rugby Union said in a statement to the PA news agency.
“We have as rich a Lions history as any of the nations, and it would be great to host the famous red jerseys on Scottish soil for the first time.”
The Lions played a warm-up game before the 2005 New Zealand tour, drawing 25-25 against Argentina in Cardiff.
And they tackled the Barbarians in Hong Kong eight years later, prior to touring Australia.
- Little ‘lion kings’: Two cubs caught on camera play-fighting at Phinda Reserve in South Africa
- Show presenter Melissa Bachman slammed after posting photo of lion she killed in South Africa
- Prince Harry falls off horse during Sentebale charity polo match in South Africa
- King: South Africa’s Jacob Zuma faces new challenge — making college affordable for all young people, black or white
- President Obama meets privately with Nelson Mandela's family during trip to South Africa
- SEE IT: Porcupine unsheathes spikes to defend against lions in South Africa (VIDEO)
- Thirty students from Maryland university robbed at gunpoint on tour bus in South Africa
- Global warming agreement reached in Durban, South Africa
- South Africa to put image of former president Nelson Mandela on its currency, the rand, only the second person so honored
- Michelle Obama begins six-day tour of South Africa, meets with Nelson Mandela