Email Posted December 16, 2019 06:19:12 Photo: Protesters were disappointed in the lack of commitment to action against climate change by world leaders at COP25. (Reuters: Susana Vera) Map: Spain Marathon international climate talks have ended with major polluters resisting calls to ramp up efforts to keep global warming at bay and negotiators postponing the regulation of global carbon markets until next year. Key points:UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres said he was “disappointed” by the meeting’s outcomeThe final talks fell short of promising to enhance countries’ pledges to cut planet-heating greenhouse gases next year There was no final agreement on regulation for international carbon markets, with the EU warning that weak rules sought by some countries would undermine the system Those failures came even after organisers added two more days to the 12 days of scheduled talks in Madrid.In the end, delegates from almost 200 nations endorsed a declaration to help poor countries that are suffering the effects of climate change, although they did not allocate any new funds to do so.The final declaration called on the “urgent need” to cut planet-heating greenhouse gases in line with the goals of the landmark 2015 Paris climate change accord.That fell far short of… Read full this story
- Why is the pressure being piled on Australia to do more on climate change?
- View: India is showing that equity and justice must be a touchstone of any global response to climate change
- How Has Climate Change Affected Hurricane Dorian?
- Liberals and Conservatives trade shots on climate change
- As Trump Steps Back, Jerry Brown Talks Climate Change in China
- China, Britain agree to advance cooperation on climate change
- I'm a critical thinking expert. This is how you win any climate change debate
- Glencore moves to cap global coal output after investor pressure on climate change
- Paris Agreement on climate change to be hardwired into Brexit trade deal
- Conservatives finally have a climate change plan. Too bad it makes no sense
UN climate change talks in Madrid end with no agreement on carbon market rules or stronger pledges have 316 words, post on www.abc.net.au at December 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.