Email By political reporter Jack Snape Posted December 12, 2019 04:13:21 Video: Hong Kong influencer Hins Cheung was paid $112,500 by Tourism Australia. (ABC News) Related Story: China has a base deep inside Australia’s Antarctic Territory — and we can’t access it Related Story: Rich migrants pay $5m to move to Australia. But is that a good deal? Map: Australia Tourism Australia splashed more than half a million dollars on social media influencers in 2018-19, alongside other government enterprises such as Australia Post. Key points:Tourism Australia paid more than half a million dollars to social media influencers in 2018-19The largest single amount was paid to Chinese pop star Hins Cheung, who has been embroiled in controversy about Hong Kong protestsTourism Australia says all influencers were approved by two managers under an internal framework But the organisation turned its back on social media stars from Australia’s biggest source of tourists, China.Instead, it gave $112,500 in taxpayer funding — the highest amount for any individual — to a Hong Kong singer who has been reportedly dubbed a “secessionist mouse dropping” by a Chinese military newspaper.Hins Cheung was born in mainland China but expressed sympathy for pro-democracy protestors of the so-called umbrella movement… Read full this story
- Hong Kong protests: How did we get here?
- Hong Kong protesters form human chains across the city
- Hong Kong Protests: Spreading Clashes Paralyze City
- Hong Kong Protests Spread to Airport as City Fears More Unrest
- Hong Kong Protesters Apologize After Chaos at Airport
- Jackie Chan sparks outrage over comments on Hong Kong protests
- China cracks down on Cathay after staff join Hong Kong protests
- Hong Kong protest hits airport
- China ambassador issues warning over Hong Kong protests
- Twitter, Facebook accuse China of Hong Kong meddling
Tourism Australia splashes cash on social media stars, led by one linked to Hong Kong protests have 280 words, post on www.abc.net.au at December 12, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.