Chief Justice of India (CJI) Sharad A. Bobde agreed to list on Wednesday a petition seeking an independent probe into the extra-judicial killing of four accused of the rape and murder of a veterinarian in Hyderabad. The petition was orally mentioned by advocate G.S. Mani before the CJI for urgent listing. Mr. Mani sought a CBI or a special investigation team probe against Cyberbad Police Commissioner V.C. Sajjanar, who is a respondent in the petition. He said the encounter was a red herring, deliberately done to turn public attention away from the police’s inability to prevent such crimes against women. There is a second petition filed by another advocate, M.L. Sharma, pending in the court. This petition has made parliamentarian Jaya Bachchan a party for "appreciating" the encounter and Delhi Commission of Women chairperson Swati Maliwal for publicly seeking a "quick hanging" of the accused. The filing of the petition coincided with a speech given by Chief Justice Bobde, voicing apprehensions over the tendency to seek "instant justice" and "revenge". "Justice can never be instant and should not take the form of revenge," he said at the inauguration of a new building of the Rajasthan High Court in Jodhpur on… Read full this story
- Landmark Supreme Court cases and how they affect you
- Sushant Singh Rajput death: Supreme Court to hear Rhea Chakraborty's plea on Wednesday
- Google, Facebook, WhatsApp Asked by Supreme Court to Give Inputs on Objectionable Content Complaints
- Rape case: Supreme Court seeks State Governmen response
- Supreme Court Rejects Inmate’s Plea for Firing Squad
- WhatsApp Denies in Supreme Court Allegations of Data Hacking by Spyware Pegasus
- Prashant Bhushan Moves Supreme Court, Seeks Review of Contempt Case Verdict
- Explained: What was Bihar’s Senari massacre of 1999, which now comes before the Supreme Court?
- Supreme Court mulls over ‘punishment’ for political parties facing contempt
- A Gun Rights Win in California With Sights Set on the Supreme Court
Supreme Court to hear plea on Hyderabad veterinarian rape and murder accused killing have 324 words, post on www.thehindu.com at December 9, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.